In the 1930s, while drilling for petroleum, the Imperial Oil Company penetrated a salt deposit, which led to the opening of the Amherst plant in 1947. In 1990 the Amherst plant was acquired by the company that would eventually become Compass Minerals.
The Amherst plant produces and packages a variety of salt products. Almost 50% of the salt manufactured at the plant is food-grade salt distributed for use in commercial food production and for table salt used in homes across Canada. In addition, the plant produces and packages salt for water conditioning, agriculture, fishery, deicing and even pool salt.
327 Smith Road
Nappan, Nova Scotia B4H 3Y4